Welcome

I'm glad you want to join me in discovering more truth from the Bible. I'm not a theologian, just a disciple with an attentive ear to hear what the Spirit says. So let's listen closely . . .






Monday, May 14, 2012

Joshua 2, Psalm 136, Philippians 1

We can live in the state of promises, but only for so long. There comes a time when we have to go do something - whatever God instructs. In this case, the spies went into Jericho. For her part, Rahab had to do something also. But as individuals obeyed, God worked and protected them all. Rahab was certainly an unlikely candidate, so we need to learn from her example not to judge others.

His mercy does endure forever. It is the Lord who created the earth and us and who rescues us from our enemies. (Read: spiritual enemies, those forces who would cause us doubt, worry, fear, and ultimately stop us from following God.) Those enemies are defeated by the cross and we need to stand strong because His mercy endures forever!

Paul's enemies thought that by arresting him they'd stop the spread of his message. How wrong they were! Paul knew that physical affliction, even death, was not defeat, but actual victory. He encourages the Philippians to remember this when they suffer. "To live is Christ and to die is gain." (Phil. 1:21) The whole purpose of prolonging Paul's life was to produce more fruit of the gospel and for the benefit of others, not Paul.

Does my life benefit others? Am I willing to give it up to benefit others as the spies were? Can I really say with Paul that it doesn't matter to me whether I live or die, only that God's will is done? These are heavy questions, but really are the bottom line.

So as long as I live, I better be doing what I know God has called me to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment